Strong Foundation Game - Three Easy Steps & Hacks No One Told You About
Don’t you hate it? When you apply your foundation thinking you will look as perfect as those magazine cover stars, but the end result doesn’t even come remotely close to your expectations?
The struggle is real. Achieving the perfect base with a foundation gets even the pros all worked up. Greasy and patchy foundation makeup is a common crisis faced by makeup lovers across the universe.
Well, the whole idea of using a foundation is to even out our complexion while making it look as skin-like and natural as possible. And for that, you need to tackle primarily two departments - technique and formulation.
We are here to help you out with that. In this blog, we demystify the science of foundation makeup in a few easy steps! Want to know the basics of foundation application? Quick hacks and the best foundation for your skin type? We’ve got it all sorted out for you!
Let’s get started.
How to Apply Foundation? - Decoding The basics in 3 Easy Steps
Remember that 70% of how your foundation looks on the skin depends on what you do BEFORE applying it. So as the first step, a thorough skin prepping routine is absolutely necessary before applying foundation. Here’s how to do it:
1) Skincare Routine to Follow Before Applying Foundation
Even the best foundations will end up looking cakey if you don’t prep your skin properly. Foundation settles well onto hydrated skin. Follow these skincare steps:
a) Give your face a proper cleanse with a face wash to remove traces of dirt, grime, and existing makeup.
b) Exfoliate your skin with a face scrub to remove dead skin cells and flakes from the skin.
c) To hydrate your skin and minimize the appearance of pores, use a facial toner. Take some product onto your cotton pad and wipe off your face and neck with the pad.
Pro tip: After toning your face, put on a hydrating sheet mask. Although a sheet mask is claimed to be an overrated product, it gives an instant boost of moisture to the skin and gives that ‘lit from within’ glow to your face.
d) After applying a hydrating mask, moisturize your face generously with a moisturizer that suits your skin type. We recommend using Colorbar Spotlight Illuminating Lotion enriched with Hyaluronic acid and mulberry extract. It not only hydrates your skin but imparts an ethereal glow to your skin owing to the light pigments present within.
You will see your skin looking like a million bucks after following this skincare routine. Well, that’s a sign that your foundation makeup is going to turn out great. Now after the skincare routine, the second step is to prime your face. Here’s how to do it.
2) Priming your Skin for Foundation Makeup
After skincare, priming builds a smooth canvas for makeup by minimizing the appearance of pores and blurring out all imperfections. Applying a primer before foundation is important because it allows your foundation to stay for long without moving or fading away. Here’s how you apply a primer-
a) Take a makeup primer that suits your skin type (normal, dry, oily, or sensitive). Else, your primer will go to waste if the formula does not suit your skin type. Do check out Colorbar’s Flawless Finish Primer if you have dry skin.
b) For those with oily, we recommend you our Perfect Match Primer.
Gently dab the primer onto your face. Wait for 3-5 minutes to let the product settle.
Your face is now the perfect canvas for applying foundation to. Now comes the third step and the real deal - applying foundation.
3) Applying Foundation
Before you start applying foundation, you need to choose the right one for yourself- the one that suits your skin type and complexion. Here we give some tips to choose the right foundation:
a) Skin Type - If you have a dry skin type, a hydrating foundation that gives a satiny finish, like our 24Hrs Weightless Liquid Foundation, will make your skin look hydrated and smooth. On the other hand, for oily skin types, Full Cover Makeup Stick will impart a matte finish to your face and control all the greasiness and shine.
b) Skin Tone - When choosing the right shade of foundation, you need to go for one that exactly matches your skin tone. You could check product swatches given online. For example, our 24Hrs Weightless Liquid Foundation has swatches for all the 30 shades on our website.
After choosing the right foundation, comes the application part.
c) Applying the Foundation Makeup: When applying foundation, remember that less is always more. Start with less and gradually build it up as per the coverage you need.
i) Apply the foundation at the center of your face with our Pro Foundation Brush. This brush from Colorbar is one of the best foundation blending brushes as it gives a natural finish to your base.
ii) Now blend the foundation on your forehead from the center towards the left and right parts. Moving your brush gently in both directions in horizontal strokes.
iii) For the rest of your face, blend the foundation in downward strokes (in the direction of your hair growth) using the same flat foundation brush.
iv) Make sure that the foundation reaches your neck and ears too, else your face and neck color will end up contrasting each other.
v) To set your foundation makeup, dust some loose setting powder on your face with the help of our Pro Duo Fibre Brush.
These were the three steps to achieve the perfect base makeup with a foundation. Let’s narrow down the science of foundation application to your specific skin type.
Read More: 6 Reasons Why Primer is Important
Foundation Hacks for Different Skin Types
To make your foundation look good on your skin type, you need to give your skin what it particularly wants. Here we list a few hacks that your skin will thank you for and deliver the perfect foundation makeup look in return!
Foundation Hacks for Oily Skin
1) Don’t skip the moisturizing step. A moisturizer will balance out the oil production in your skin by stopping your skin from producing extra oil.
2) Set your face by applying loose powder over your foundation as it will mattify the oil on your face. Pack the Duo Fibre Brush with the powder and pat it all over the face. Pat more powder on the areas which produce more oil.
3) Oily skin types are advised to use mattifying primers and foundations. But if you want a dewy look, you can use our Spotlight Illuminating Lotion for moisturizing and Amino Skin Radiant Foundation to get a healthy and dewy base. You can set your foundation by applying powder on the T-zone and then apply powder blusher and highlighter in warm shades to add a sun-kissed, dewy effect to the base makeup.
Foundation Hacks for Dry Skin
1) For skin prepping, opt for moisturizers that have hyaluronic acid in them, for example, Vita Hemp Restoring & Balancing Moisturizer.
2) To set the foundation, apply a minimal layer of compact powder only to those areas where your makeup tends to crease. Set the makeup with a setting spray.
3) Dry skin types are generally advised to use hydrating primer and foundation. However, if you want to go for a matte look, you can apply cellular dry oil before applying foundation and after using primer. To set and mattify the foundation, dust some compact powder on the face followed by applying a setting spray.
Foundation Hacks for Sensitive Skin
1) Always keep your makeup brushes clean, for your skin may be extra-sensitive to the leftover product or bacteria building up in your brushes.
2) Those with sensitive skin should opt for Magic Water Primer as it is a lightweight, silky, and hydrating primer enriched with H20 Vita Complex and makes your skin look perfect.
3) Ensure all the products that you use, including primer and foundation, are non-comedogenic and oil-free to prevent your pores from clogging.
4) While removing makeup is a necessary step for all skin types, those with sensitive skin types can especially benefit from this step and save themselves from breakouts and irritation.
That’s all. Foundation can literally make or break your game. But now that you are here, let’s focus on getting it right. If you follow these tips closely, you can easily pull off a photo-perfect and flawless face that will give those filters a run for their money! Go ahead and try out these hacks right now with Colorbar Foundations!